Thatched Roof Maintenance
By Simply Thatch Limited - UK Wide
One of the most important thing to consider when you own a thatched roof is how regularly you get maintenance work done. Without proper thatch roof maintenance you’ll find that you need to pay for a complete re-thatching of your roof a lot sooner than you otherwise would.
That’s why we always recommend that you get an annual check on your thatched roof to identify any problems, and get them fixed as quickly as possible. That way any minor issues can be prevented from becoming major problems, and bigger jobs, like re-ridging, can be identified early to minimise the amount of work that needs to be done.
Due to the materials used, natural degradation occurs over time which will eventually mean a full rethatching is required. As mentioned before, correct maintenance can extend the life of the roof before this is needed.
Thatch Roof Ridging
At Simply Thatch, we offer thatched roof maintenance services using reed and straw. The lifespan of your roof, and therefore your thatch roof maintenance requirements, is dependent on a number of factors. No matter how well thatched a roof is, it will always require thatch roof maintenance over a period of time. Because thatched roofs naturally degrade over time, a complete re-thatching is recommended every 20 years or so.
Thatch Moss Removal
Why Choose Us For Your Thatch Roof Maintenance?
Advice For Thatch Roof Maintenance
To ensure that your thatched roof lasts as long as possible, we recommend re-ridging your roof every 10-15 years depending on angles.
Consider the following tips for your thatch roof maintenance:
- Keeping your roof in the best condition possible means ensuring that it is well ventilated. If your roof is able to dry out properly after rainfall, it will prevent the likelihood of moss and algae growth.
- Do not assume that a neat ridge is a sign of a well-thatched roof. This could just indicate that a previous owner had the roof re-ridged recently. Instead, examine the eave. Discolouration or dips in the main coat-work can indicate more deep-rooted damage.
- If you are having other work done on your property, do not allow traders to damage the thatch with ladders, tools, or walking on the coat-work. Divots accelerate thatch degradation and should be avoided.
- Always check your roof for any changes especially before and after Winter when damage can occur.
- If a total rethatch is needed on a property which is listed, then the local listed building authority should be contacted. The property owner and the thatcher carrying out the work both need to seek advice.
Our Case Studies
Why Choose to Work with Simply Thatch?
Our Master Thatchers are ready, willing, and able to advise and provide quotations on how to renovate and repair your thatched roof.
With over two decades worth of experience, we’ve been brought in to work on properties across the UK, making us one of the most trusted Master Thatchers around. Check out our Google Review and you’ll see a host of happy customers who are more than satisfied with our work.
Just fill in the form and we’ll be in touch with you to arrange a time for one of our master thatchers to come over and assess your thatched roof and give you a quote!