Historic Building Restoration
Many of the historic buildings across the UK have thatch roofs, which means there are additional requirements that need to be met in order to preserve our nations history, whilst still allowing for thatched roofs to be repaired and replaced as needed.
One of our areas of expertise as a company is to provide thatch for historic building restoration & conservation. We offer thatching services to complete historic building restorations across all Grades of historic properties.
What Buildings Do You Work With?
We offer thatching services for all levels of listed building restorations. This encompasses:
- Grade I buildings – these are of particular historic significance and only comprise 2.5% listed buildings
- Grade II buildings – these are culturally important buildings that make up approximately 5.5% listed buildings
- Grade III buildings – these nationally important buildings make up 92% listed buildings, and are often residential
Historic Building Specifications for Thatched Roofs
The Historic England Conservation Specification for Thatch Roofing provides detailed guidance on the materials, techniques, and practices that should be used when repairing or replacing thatched roofs on historic buildings. Some of the key points of the specification include:
- The use of traditional thatching materials, such as water reed, combed wheat straw, and longstraw.
- The selection of materials that are appropriate for the specific location and climate of the building.
- The use of appropriate fixings, such as copper or stainless steel wire, to secure the thatch in place.
- The need for good ventilation and appropriate eaves detailing to prevent damp and rot.
- The use of appropriate ridging materials and detailing, such as hazel or willow rods, to ensure that the roof is well ventilated and the ridge line is neat and tidy.
Our Case Studies
Why Choose to Work with Simply Thatch?
Our Master Thatchers are ready, willing, and able to advise and provide quotations on how to renovate and repair your thatched roof.
With over two decades worth of experience, we’ve been brought in to work on properties across the UK, making us one of the most trusted Master Thatchers around. Check out our Google Review and you’ll see a host of happy customers who are more than satisfied with our work.
Just fill in the form and we’ll be in touch with you to arrange a time for one of our master thatchers to come over and assess your thatched roof and give you a quote!